Monday, August 29, 2011

Leper

leper [ˈlɛpə]
n
1. (Medicine / Pathology) a person who has leprosy
2. a person who is ignored or despised
[via Late Latin from Greek lepra, noun use of lepros scaly, from lepein to peel]


The term grosses me out. I always think of skin falling off, limbs being lost, etc. And I would avoid someone with skin and/or appendages falling off left & right, don't get me wrong.


But, last time I checked, all my skin & body parts are right where they belong.

So, riddle me this...Why do I feel like I'm being avoided at all costs? I know of nothing I have said or done to ostracize myself, to bring on being ignored or despised. But I feel lately like I'm watching things happen through a window. Facebook is WONDERFUL for fostering feelings like this, let me tell you. I see photos of everyone else having a good time & feel even more isolated. I witness people being invited to events & do not get an invitation myself. Even outside of Facebook, when we actually do put on a BBQ or some kind of get-together, 90% of the people we invite have already made plans (sometimes with each other) that didn't include us.

Am I being overly whiny? If someone had some insight for me, even a revelation of some social ineptitude I (or we) possess, I'd accept it. At this point, I feel like I'm grasping for straws just to feel included somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment